Lymphatic drainage is a gentle, advanced form of massage. It involves a range of gentle techniques such as rhythmic pumping and gentle strokes designed to encourage the removal of excess fluid, protein, dead cells, viruses, bacteria and chemicals.
The lymphatic system has two roles:
- Drainage of extracellular fluids
- Distribution of white blood cells to fight infection
The lymphatic system is very superficial. The lymphatics lie directly under the surface of the skin, above muscle and bone.
Unlike the circulatory system, the lymphatic system lacks a central pump, such as the heart, instead it relies on:
- Stimuli from breathing
- Venous flow
- Skeletal muscle activity
- Muscles within the walls of lymph vessels
During a lymphatic drainage treatment, patients are often asked to perform specific lymphatic drainage breathing exercises to assist with lymph flow.
As well as increasing immune activity, Lymphatic Drainage also has many other benefits, such as:
- Reduction of pain by decreasing swelling
- Encouraged sleep/relaxation
- Relief of stress and anxiety
- Reduce hypertension
- Increase bowel movement, relieve constipation
- Improve breathing, bronchitis, sinusitis
- Reduced oedema during pregnancy
- Reduced pain associated with arthritis ad rheumatism
- Improvement of post operative wound healing and scars
- Reduced mastitis
- Treatment and control of lymphedema
- Control of chronic fatigue
Lymphatic Drainage may be of benefit to you, for more information, please do not hesitate to ask one of our staff.